Sunday, October 29, 2006

PERRANPORTH, CORNWALL


We drove through pissing rain with window wipers that didn't wipe, in the dark & fog for 5 hours to get to this little southernmost corner of England. All the while I was wondering why on earth I was punishing myself in this way and the boys were eager with the anticipation of playing at the beach with 3 of their friends. Next morning - crystal clear blue sky day, a bracing morning walk along the beach and over the headland to another beach with Christy. Later, back to the beach with 5 boys in tow, it was suprisingly warm and I thought I'd go for a swim...until I felt how cold the water was. Samuel didn't give me much choice when he GLEEFULLY pushed me into the pool!!! I didn't know whether to laugh or cry once I had finally caught my breath. Clothed, wet, freezing...such a perfect reaction for him too - we giggled about it all day. After much playing in the warm sunshine we went home for lunch, filled up on Elenas delish homemade chicken soup. (Lucky us, having Italian cooking fiend friends!) Tummies warm & full we set off on a 7km walk along the dramatic and beautiful cliff tops.


You can see pictures here The sun was getting low and there was a sense of urgency - I was not keen on the idea of walking along these cliffs with 5 energetic boys in the dark. Right at the end, the tide was coming in and we had to scamper around the rocks - it was a dramatic race as every wave came closer to cutting us off, in the end we had to rock climb up over a little cliff as the water had cut us off. It was physically challenging, emotianally charged (for me! with 5 sprites to push along and keep safe) and all VERY exciting and dramatic. We rested in a warm local pub, downed a cider while the boys played pool and returned home.


Next day, beautiful soft shades of grey sky day, gentle showers of rain. We played at home and then went to the beach for more fun, games, and frolics. Hot creamy chocolates, scones with jam and clotted cornish cream abounded - Y.U.M.

Saturday, midday, we walked the beach to the caves, deep, dark & scary. We collected some of the glimmering quartz stones to bring home as memory door stoppers. Before we drove 6 hours home discussing what we were going to wear to the Halloween party at Sallys that night. Walked in the door 7pm salty and sandy, showered and walked out the door and hour later as Death (S) & Zombie (O) with Goth couple...these boys love to party and had everyone entertained before crashing in Alis bed until we took them home.

No comments: